‘Tis the season to be:
- eating a ton of junk food
- burning those holiday scented candles
- over-committing to everyone and every thing – shopping, wrapping, party-going etc.
Fa la la la la, la la la, la!
I’ve compiled a short list of my favorite healthy swaps, gifts and tips to help you get through this crazy time of the year.
This concept is easy: replace items you already use or purchase for a different item that’s less toxic and healthier for your home.
- Candles: I know, I get it. They smell good, I use to burn them all the time. The section at TJMaxx use to get me every.single.time. But CANDLES ARE TOXIC. FAKE FRAGRANCES ARE TOXIC. Breathing in that gunk directly into your lungs has a negative affect on your body. It does, look it up! This whole post won’t be me shaking my finger, I promise. But seriously, this is one of the easiest swaps you could make… a diffuser! The possibilities are endless with Young Living, there are hundreds of oils and blends to choose from and not only do they replace candles, but they also replace plug ins and air sprays. Classic option: Christmas Spirit! I personally like to add a drop or two of Orange to the mix as well. I’ll start diffusing this blend the day after Thanksgiving. The desert mist diffuser is my favorite right now because it has the flickering candle light option and runs for up to 10 hours!
- Emergen C: I drink at least of 2 oz of Ningxia Red a day and kick it up a notch by supplementing with a probiotic during the colder months. Both help support your immune system (well, whole body! happy gut = happy face hint hint). I personally love the taste of the MightyPro option but when that’s out of stock, I reach for the Life 9. Everyone in your family will benefit from this swap!
- Hand soap/ hand sanitizer: similar to the candles up above, fake scents are a no-go in our household. There’s nothing worse than washing your hands and then 2 hours later still having that unnatural scent lingering around. Remember: your skin is your biggest organ. We’ve swapped out traditional hand soap for the Thieves foaming hand soap and the Thieves water less hand purifier. Both contain the proprietary Thieves blend of clove, lemon, cinnamon bark, eucalyptus radiata and rosemary. Have you ever seen this graphic? It’s pretty powerful!
4. Car air freshener: fake scents… seeing the theme? One new item in the holiday catalog is the car vent diffuser! Simply add a drop or two of your favorite oil or blend before hitting the road, and you’ll be breathing easy while rockin’ out to holiday tunes.
Here are a few of my stocking stuffer or grab-bag favorites:
- Do you know someone who could use a little more sleep support? Do you need more sleep support? I love love love the Tranquil roll-on essential oil blend. It’s already got coconut oil in the blend, so it’s safe to use on the whole family. Keep one by your bedside and pass one along to someone you know who deserves sweet dreams.
- Someone on your list deserve a little relaxation? I love the Stress Away bath bombs! No fake fragrances, no fake dyes = they aren’t going to stain your tub! And they are cheaper per bomb than those sold at Lush, I did the math for you. You’re welcome. They are vegan (whoop whoop!) and with their skin-loving ingredients, your skin is going to be soft, smooth and moisturized.
- Any athletes on your list? I’ve tested and approve of the Cool Azul Pain Relief Cream! This cream helped me get through my 50k training and is perfect for any athlete that has occasional aches and pains. Or for the parent’s on your list that are chasing little ones. Or anyone really who slept the wrong way. I call this item nature’s bengay… minus the synthetic ingredients. Love!
- Lip Gloss – color abundant. I’m not a lipstick kind of gal, I’m a balm kind of gal. And it took me a while to try this lip gloss because I thought it would be a waste of money. But it’s light and adds the perfect amount of color for my special occasions – or day to day wear if the gal on your list is into that kind of stuff. There are a number of color options to choose from with the same formula – no parabens, phthalates, petrochemicals, bismuth, talc, synthetic fragrances or colorants – so it’s even safe to use on the little ones when they ask to dress up as well.
Have too much to eat or too much of one food group? Grab the Digize essential oil blend that came in your starter kit and rub a drop or two directly on your belly for digestion support.
You feeling a little run down? Need a pep in your step? Get your diffuser crankin’ with a few drops of Citrus Fresh and Peppermint (both in your starter kit) right when you hop out of bed to help you feel energized and ready to take on your day. Kick it up a notch by showering with one of the new Citrus Fresh Energizing Shower Steamers! Make them last even longer by breaking them in half; they’re pretty big!
Get a stain on an item of clothing while at a party? Add one capful of the Thieves Household Cleaner to a rollerball with water and rub directly on the clothing to pre-soak. Remember, clothing sits on your skin (largest organ), it’s important to assess what comes into contact with your body on a daily basis. A sample of this product is in your kit!
Looking for some new holiday diffuser blends? Check out Pinterest – there are a TON of great recipes already out there – no need to feel overwhelmed.
I could add a lot of items to this list, but alas, I must return from my lunch break. Have any additional suggestions or a specific question? Reach out to me – I’d love to help you one on one! And if you haven’t already jumping into this oily lifestyle, what’s holding you back?