The beau and I definitely let loose this month and while that felt good, tallying up the month’s spending did not. We aren’t progressing through Baby Step 3 as fast as I had anticipated and we’re the only ones to blame. After all normal household expenses, we should have deposited $5,684 toward savings, but we only deposited $1,780.
But a friend, who has also successfully paid off all debt using this plan, reminded me that we paid cash for everything this month! Despite how long the list, we didn’t dig ourselves a bigger hole. I was appreciative for that positive outlook and reminder.
Here’s a list of everything we purchased that wasn’t budgeted for:
- our summer CSA via Denison Farm // 22 weeks at $595
- our annual garbage bill and quarterly water + sewer bill // A lot of Troy residents in my neighborhood were complaining about these two invoices coming due at the same time. I wasn’t shocked and was prepared for these two expenses because they were both due at the same time last year. Shocking how that happens! Our garbage fee went up by $4 and our water bill was consistent (actually slightly less).
- our last two flights for holiday were booked!
- the beau and I each got our haircut
- we had some business expenses: postage, a new URL and web hosting for said URL
- we paid to have our taxes done
- the beau had his snow tires removed
- we each purchased some running gear (sneakers and fuel, both on sale and a race registration)
- Mets radio ($3)
- Kitty’s end of life expenses
- and a few random splurges: milkweed seeds for our yard ($7) and a new rug ($242)
On the plus side, we did have $11.03 leftover from our eating out / alcohol envelope, so that’ll go in to our vacation cash fund! Whoop whoop! We’re both pretty excited to get our garden up and growing in May; there’s nothing like stepping out into your backyard and harvesting food for dinner.
Our emergency fund is officially 58% funded. I’m still gunning for a July 1st end date – we’re really going to have to buckled down these next two months to make it happen – or get another side hustle. We both have a long list of things we’d like to do / purchase, but can’t until this step is complete. Don’t be surprised if you see us working at Trader Joe’s – I’m joking, kind of. Baby Step 3 is hard, y’all!