Have you ever caught yourself saying, “that’s my favorite!” multiple times throughout one day? That was me yesterday. And it’s not like we were out exploring or doing anything extravagant, we were home with no plans at all. Those really are my favorite kind of days because they are few and far between. See what I mean?
Here’s a short list of other things I couldn’t get enough of yesterday:
- Roasted spaghetti squash seeds: the beau and I didn’t get the opportunity to carve pumpkins this year, so I’ve decided to roast up all of the seeds from our autumn squashes to make up for it. Reminds me of being a kid.
- Speaking of autumn, it really is my favorite season. We had the windows open yesterday for some fresh air and the sunrise this morning was gorgeous.
- And with great weather comes walks with the beau before running errands. We barely get to walk together these days, so it was nice to hold his hand.
- Our new piece of art! I bought it on a whim while on our walk at a local shop and hung it above our mantel in the bedroom. It puts a pep in my step!
- Heads up pennies, especially the ones that are smooshed and embellished. I found a penny with a penguin on it yesterday, also from yesterday’s walk.
- Homemade pizza! We haven’t made pizza in a very long time but let me tell you, I’m living with the pizza king. The crust is not too thick, not too thin and always crispy, no matter how much sautéed kale he loads on. Instead of sauce, we used up the last of the summer’s garlic scape pesto. I admittedly ate one slice too many but I couldn’t help it- it was so darn delicious!
- An afternoon to meal prep. This NEVER happens these days and probably won’t happen again until after Christmas. The beau and I won’t have a day off, except Thanksgiving, until Christmas day and that makes me nervous. We tend to turn toward take-out when we’re so busy and that’s the opposite of what I’d prefer; for my waistline and wallet. So I took advantage of our free afternoon and made two big meals that can be enjoyed throughout the week. The first meal I sautéed a yellow onion and leftover mushrooms before transferring it over to the CrockPot with an entire eggplant, diced with tomatoes. This sauce will then be paired with the giant spaghetti squash I roasted- my favorite squash and substitute for pasta. The second meal has roasted butternut squash, green lentils, and sautéed collard greens with a ginger apple cider vinegar dressing. I’m thinking this salad will be best cold. It’ll be great coming home this week and not having to think about what to cook.
I know I’ve shared this photograph already on Instagram but I couldn’t help myself here- that’s my favorite mantel! I don’t have extra cash in my budget for seasonal decorations, so I used what I already had on hand and spent about $5 for the flowers and mini pumpkins. So simple. P.s… the embroidered piece is the new piece; don’t you just love it?!